Thursday, July 28, 2011

Girls Camp

Well, I slacked on writing for a few days due to girls camp preparations. My sis and I were asked to put together a craft where the girls could make fabric flowers for their hair. I was really excited when asked initially. I got to looking at ideas on line and playing around. We went to the fabric store and got some sample fabrics (which were free, and caused the ladies there to give us some sass). Anyway I got to it right away the next day creating what I hoped would be a cute hair accessory for older teenage girls.Here it is: (Excuse my hair)



I even showed my initial flower to my summer school students and one girl asked if she could buy it from me. I was flattered, and I definitely  gave her an A+++! Just kidding of course. Anyway showed it to some others including my family and everyone seemed to go for it. But when we went back for the fabric, what do you know a week later it is gone?!  So we got other fabric after what seemed like an hours of searching and debating over what color to use. We chose black polka dot with a white polka dot and a pink print with tulle. They came out a bit different.
Pink, Tulle puff ball.



What do you think? I still need a picture of the black one straight on -- I will add it later...if I remember! We decided to let the yw do both of the flowers (pink and polka dot). Little did we know that some wouldn't even be able to string a piece of thread...eek. While we were giving directions on the black one, another lady who I was sitting next to and helping began asking me very specific questions about the material and size and directions, I thought, 'Wow people are really liking this!' Then I find out that this woman actually makes and sells the hair flowers and bows!!!! What the heck-- she was just getting all my info from me! I felt a little taken, if you know what I mean. And this after telling her that I am the one that created this from various other styles and a lot of researching and trial and error! Chalk it up to experience. Maybe I should get into the hair accessory business and beat her to the punch of selling these. Anyway, I guess I will survive.


So we never got to the pink one, however there was going to be some other craft time, and since we went through all the work of getting the materials I was happy that they would still get to put it together. Until I got a call from my mom this morning at 8:40 telling me that she had been asked to direct the yw at the camp in making it at 9 am -- she had only 20ish minutes to figure out how to make it with my directions over the phone. Oh man did I feel bad for her. I am sure that it all turned out ok. And I can't wait to see some of the results. 

So all in all the day was good, but boy was it long!! I was so happy to be home! And I am definitely going to make today relaxing. 

Alright so before I go here are some other fabric flowers that I made!
 A mini puff ball.
 
Puff with a pearl!

2 comments:

A Guy,A Girl, And a Max said...

Those are super cute!! I would love to see how to make those and I promise I wont try and sell them! lol

the (4) amigos said...

Ha! That is just fine Lori! I will bring it to the lake if you like -- I probably wont get on the Jet Ski anyway-- my back has been killing since Wednesdays craft hours! Let me know which design you are interested in and I will bring stuff to get you started!